20190827 August WRARC Monthly Meeting
(Dinner had been at China Buffet)
Call to Order at 19:35 by Mike May
Minutes of July meeting: motion to accept by William, 2nd Joel
Attendees 13 (11 members, 2 guests): William Waldschmidt (W9WA), Russell Chaney (KN4OHD), Roger Parsons (KG4VCR), Mike May (KF4FMQ), Ken Douglass (KY4KD), John Wulf (K4FT), Joel Haberman (KU4KD), Doug Collins (KA4SWT), Dennis Weiskircher (K3KZU), Daniel Lubinski (KD0HYA), Andy Rose (KI6SEP)
- William “Scott“ Cooper (Harrodsburg) not yet a ham but studying for next VE session.
- Harold Miller AF6MB (Danville – just up the road from the Post) was Emergency Coordinator in southern Oregon – in the town of Grant’s Pass.
Treasurers Report by Ken
- Spent: Stamps $11
- Deposit $50 for Hats sold
- Deposit $100 from Post for annual recruitment and retention allowance
- Collecting dues underway. Cash or check. Check made out to “American Legion Post 46”
- $30 for Legion associate members
- $30 for full Legion members
- $20 Sons of the Legion
Can be mailed to
108 Chandler Dr.
Danville, KY 40422
Activities Report (George not present)
- Best way to get on D-Star (per Ken): USB $130 dongle. DVstick 30
- George’s report brought up on projector, reviewed by Mike
- Last weekend’s Contest had to be cancelled because Post was able to rent the Hall. Club considers this a good thing as it allows the Post to get $500~$1000.
- Next Contest: September 28th CQWW DX Contest RTTY Saturday 1-5
- Special Event Station for American Legion 100th anniversary on October 22 – special event station at Lowes on Saturday, 10/19 with call sign W4L. Also will be on air on 22nd, coincidentally our monthly meeting.
- Planning needed for Special Event Station
- Planning needed for Bourbon Chase.
- We decided to move spotting station further out to give us more time to communicate & post the numbers as well as the next runner more time to get ready. The distance is now 1.7 miles instead of exactly one mile. The new location is in the Boyle County Fairgrounds on the gravel road East of the intersection of Man O’ War Drive and the Bypass. Not only does this mean we will not need to be dodging cars, it also means we will be able to set up in a large pavilion. Hopefully we will be able to get power turned on during the event and have restroom access.
- Due to the odd distance we plan to have a
visible conversion chart at the Display “if your runner runs 1 mile in X
minutes, expect them in Y minutes”
- We’d like 18 people to work two shifts this year – last year’s 9 people with only one shift was a push!
- Lots of details to work out!
- Contest: August 31/0000 UTC – Sept 8/2359 UTC 150th anniversary of the birth of the ARRL’s first president and cofounder, Hiram Percy Maxim (HPM), W1AW. (Details: http://www.arrl.org/hpm150-birthday-celebration)
- September nearby Hamfests:
- 09/07/2019 | Greater Louisville Hamfest 2019
Location: Shepherdsville, KY
Type: ARRL Hamfest
Sponsor: Greater Louisville Hamfest Association
- 09/28/2019 | ARCS Hamfest
Location: Paintsville, KY
Type: ARRL Hamfest
Sponsor: Amateur Radio Community Services Club
Close business @ 20:28
Presentation on End Fed Half-Wave (EFHW) antenna by Russell taken from Steve Ellington. (You can search using his name and EFHW and get started.) Here is a link <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wrN1qhstX4>
- Lots on Facebook
- Arrow Electronics has better prices than Mouser & reportedly packages better in shipment.
- If mounting into PVC box:
- Use 6×6 box instead of 4×4
- Be aware PVC moves: double or triple nut mounting connections
Motion to adjourn at 21:10