Minutes – Meeting June 27. 2017

The WRARC monthly meeting was called to order at 7:35pm. We had hamburgers, hot dogs, baked beans, chips and pop from 6:30-7:30pm. Meeting was called to order at 7:30 pm by President John Montgomery (K4OH). Those attending the meeting included the following: George Griebe (WQ4Z), Sharon Griebe (KE4INO), Mike May (KF4FMQ), Bill Waldschmidt ((W9WA), Marty Montgomery ((KE4SHC), Merle Montgomery (KG4PIF), Peter Rock (KJ4ND), Doug Collins (WA4SWT), Ken Whitehouse SR (N4JLT), Don Stivers (KM4OLL), Ray Whitehouse (KI4BM), David Pleasants(KM4PDI) with 2 guests, Roger Parsons (KG4VCR), John Montgomery (K4OH), John Wulf ( K4FT), John Lewis (WD4LEW), Bennie Kessler (KB4UPW), Ken Douglass (KM4FRM), and visitors- Addison and Kipling Griebe. Assistant secretary Sharon, KE4INO, Griebe read the June notes. Bill Waldschmidt (W9WA) made a motion to accept the minutes. Peter Rock (KJ4ND) seconded the motion.

Treasurer report was given by Ken Douglass (KM4FRM). Bill Waldschmidt (W9WA) approved the treasurers report and John Lewis (WD4LEW) seconded the motion.

OLD Business:

The tower work is done. We have two towers- a 58 foot and a 48 foot tower.

Doug Collins (WA4SWT) said he discovered an antenna problem with the antenna. He has been in contact with the company and has since discovered our antenna was one of the first ones made even though we have not used it a lot. The man he talked to at the company offered to send a new antenna, balun, and accessories. He wanted pictures of the antenna being taken down and put back up. Doug has emailed the man twice and the man has not responded. If he does not get the new antenna Doug said he will try other  options.

Field Day was described as being AWESOME! We were 3A. Total points were 3420. Last year it was 3004. The GOTA station made 78 QSO’s. We had 1350 in bonus points-including battery power charged by a solar cell, a training session, public area, a display table, news article, Boyle EMA Mike Wilder, Mercer county Sheriff, State Commander of American Legion and Former Commander of American Legion. These all added points to our total score.

Field Day was a total success. We had the State Commander of American Legion and Former Commander of American Legion visit. Tony Cromwell from Post 46 was also in attendance. Many people brought food for a picnic and Ken Douglass and Tony from the American Legion cooked hamburgers and hot dogs.

NEW Business:

Amateurs eligible were encouraged to join the American Legion Radio Club. Google TALARC to join. They run nets on 40 & 20 with digital nets as well. You must be a member or son of the American Legion to join.

Benny Kessler (KB4UPW) asked if our repeater is linked to any other. The answer was no. He stated Campbellsville was linked to Chattanooga.

Ken Douglass (KM4FRM) introduced Roger Parsons (KG4VCR) to the club.

Ken Douglass (KM4FRM) explained the new dues system. There will be three categories.

1.      Full- American Legion
2.      Legion sons
3.      Associates members of Post 46
Full membership- you served in wartime periods.
Son- You did not serve but father or mother or grandparent did serve.

For full legion members you will start getting emails in July from National until December. This will be paid $30.00 by check and mailed to Post 46. Then they send to National.

Legion sons-next month in July you will receive emails requesting dues of $20.00 to be paid to Post 46.
Associates- Not a member of American Legion. You will pay $30.00 to the WRARC treasurer (Ken Douglass). Check is made out to WRARC for 2018.
WRARC will get rebates. This year it was &600 plus $200. WRARC gets no money for full memberships. Local Post money only goes to National.

Example: Sons $30.00 goes to post. WRARC gets $20.00 back. Post 46 loses money but they will be investing in our club. The Post has monthly income. They are self sufficient. They rent out the other building on their property to the State for a daycare. They also have a social club. Family memberships would be $60.00. There will be no more WRARC family memberships. For the first year WRARC
Will pay the extra for a family. Next year the dues will  be $30.00 per family member.
Don Stivers(KM4OLL) asked about Legion numbers. Next year your card will have the number on it. Ken will get Legion numbers for those needing it. The women’s auxiliary dues are $25.00 year.

Ray Whitehouse (KI4BM) wanted to know if the club had a vertical antenna. John Montgomery stated we do have one that works simplex, 6 meter, 2 meter, and 440.It is not yet mounted.

Doug (KA4SWT) stated he will be needing help running conduit through the ceiling- maybe 3-4 people.

The next testing session will be July 22, 2017 at the Methodist Church on 3rd street in Danville.

 July 7-8 there is a Hamfest in Indiananopolis.

For the July meeting we will be eating at the Guadalajara Restaurant by Big Lots in Danville at 6:00PM

John Wulf (K4FT made a motion to close the meeting. Mike May (KF4FMQ ) seconded the motion. Meeting closed at 8:36 pm

Sharon Griebe KE4INO
Acting secretary for Chris (KG4UQL)

Minutes – Meeting May 23. 2017

The WRARC held it’s meeting ( which is NOW on the 4th Tuesday of the month) at the American Legion Building in Danville. Those present at
the meeting were: KG4UQL, KK4IYY, KE4SHC , KG4PIF, KF4FMQ, KM4PDI, KA4SWT, KM4FRM, W9WA, K4FT, K4OH, N4JLT, WD4LEW, KM4QOY, KI4BM, W9LRR.
The meeting was called to order by club president John Montgomery at 7:30pm
John ask for the minutes from the last meeting to be read. Chris read the minutes from the last meeting. John Wulf made the motion to accept the minutes as read. John Lewis 2nd the motion and the motion to accept the minutes as read was approved by the members.
John ask for a treasury report. ….. Bill made the motion to accept the report. John Lewis 2nd. The motion was accepted by the members.

OLD BUSINESS

— Tower Holes —-
Doug said that the one tower was poured. The anchor holes will be in the next few days as the weather permits.

NEW BUSINESS

—- VE TESTING —-
John Wulf said the the next test session will be on October 23 at the Methodist Church.
—- FIELD DAY —-
2A or 3A that is the question. Seems we will have the radios to do either one just need the operators to be there to operate them. The Ladies Aux
with the legion will not be able to do the meal this year so we are on our own. It was decided the club will pay for the meat (hamgurgers / hot dogs ) this year. Members will bring what they want as a pot luck to add to the meal.
—- COMEX 2017 —-
Chris mentioned that there will be a statewide communications exercise in June. He will need some help on the ham portion of this exercise. He said that he would need some members to go to a few places to check in from public agency sites. Ken and Ray Whitehouse said they would be able to assist.

—- WISH LIST —-

Ken said that there is a wish list. The list consist of things needed for the station that is being put together. The list is Coax, Ameritron RCS-4 ( remote antenna switch ), Rotar Cable 8 conductor, Signalink usb Digital Interface, Cat5 Data Cable, Romex 12-2 wire. This stuff might be in your garage or just laying around. If you don’t use or need these things or other things that we might use call Ken at 859-516-3354. He has had some of these things already donated and is keeping a list so contact him if you want to donate.
The meeting closed at 8:22pm
The before meeting will be at Quadalajara’s on Perryville road at 6pm.
Next meeting will be held on June 27th 2017 American Legion 45 Spears Lane.
Submitted to the WRARC by
Chris / KG4UQL
WRARC Secretary

Minutes – Meeting April 25. 2017

The WRARC held it’s first meeting at the American Legion on the 25th of April. Those present were: KG4UQL, WD4LEW, KA4SWT, KF4FMQ, K4FT, KM4PDI, KE4FQL, KB4UPW, KM4QOY, WQ4Z, KE4INO, KM4TPW, KM4OLL, KM4FRM, KK4IYY, W9WA, N4JLT, KJ4ND, and new tech Thomas Demond (no call yet).

The meeting was called to order at 7:36pm by vice present Mike May. Mike asked Chris for him to read the minutes from the last meeting. Chris said he had printed them out but got distracted and forgot to bring. John Wulf had them on his phone. Mike read the minutes since Chris could not read the small screen. Mike made the motion to accept the minutes. John Lewis 2nd and was accepted by the members.

Mike asked Ken for a treasury report.
Ken Whitehouse made the motion to accept the report. Bill 2nd and the members accepted the report.

— OLD Business —

— Tower holes —

The question on the tower going up was mentioned. Doug said that when time permits we will start. Job and weather will dictate and have to be taken into account. The holes as you can see have been dug and need some clean up before pouring. Hope to get that done in in the next few days weather permitting.

— VE Testing —

John Wulf said that 3 people came out to the session. Those that came 2 passed and 1 failed. A new ham that took and passed has joined the club is present here tonight that is Thomas Demond. Thomas was welcomed by members.

— NEW Business —

— Inc & Corp —

Sharon said she had filled the 990n and the corporation papers.

— Ham Stick Dipole —

Mike asked Ken said it’s a simple portable antenna. He used an old patio umbrella pole witch slides apart so you can transport in car. It is made up of two hamsticks and a bracket that is made for this. Two 40 meter sticks which can be turned with a rotor but did not set up on the one outside. He used this for awhile at his house and made several contacts. Ken also mentioned he finally gotten his DXCC  which takes making contact with 100 countries. They also have to report this on there end for it to count.

— Field Day —

Field Day WILL BE held at the Legion location this year. John Wulf we had to figure out what class we wanted to to this year. Our next meeting this needs to be planned out as with all other details. ALL MEMBERS need to attend the next meeting if possible to get the numbers on those coming to operate and what food stuff we want to do.

— Equipment —

Tereasa Durham said she still has some of Ed’s equipment. His hf rig and some ht’s some work and some are for parts. You can contact her to get more info. Text, leave message or call her at (859) 339-5862.

The before meal was never brought up so there might be info coming later.
The Next Meeting Date will be 23 MAY 2017 at the American Legion Building 45 spears Lane Danville starting at 7:30pm.

Submitted to the members of the WRARC

by Chris Galbreath KG4UQL

WRARC Secretary