WRARC Minutes July 23rd, 2019

20190723 July WRARC Monthly Meeting

(Dinner had been at Applebee’s)

Called to order at 1930 by Mike May at the American Legion Post

Attendees: 15; Alex Matan, Andy Rose, Chris Galbreath, Dennis Weiskircher, Doug Collins, George Coomer, Jerry Wilson, John Lewis, John Wulf, Mike May, Peter Rock, Roger Parsons, Russell Chaney, Will Waldschmidt, Zenah Teater,

Minutes of June meeting: motion to accept by Chris 1st, John 2nd, passed by acclimation.

Treasures Report by Mike on behalf of Ken, not in attendance due to pneumonia.

  • Wrote check for membership dues $30
  • From Post, received $660 rebate

Appreciate Post for their support!

  • Collecting dues underway.  Cash or check.  Check made out to “American Legion Post 46”
    • $30 for Legion associate members
    • $30 for full Legion members
    • $20 Sons of the Legion

Can be mailed to

Ken Douglas

108 Chandler Dr.

Danville, KY  40422

  • One hat left to sell.

Activities Report

  • TALARC was on July 1
  • Next TALARC on August 4
  • August 17, NA QSO
  • VE Testing this month on July 27 at 3rd Avenue Methodist Church
  • Next breakfast at AJ/Roosters August 9
  • QSO Article will be in October issue.  Draft received for our review (see George email)

Old Business:

  • Special Event Station for American Legion 100th anniversary on October 22 – may have been moved later? Perhaps to following weekend?
  • Planning needed for Special Event Station
  • Planning needed for Bourbon Chase including who will be leading the effort.

New Business

  • Mike will check with Ken if American Legion Special Event Date has changed
  • Suggestion to try get kids interest by

Dennis motion to close business portion of meeting 1952, 2nd by John, passed by acclimation.

Tonight’s Program: Antennas by Mike May

Easy, home brew 2m/70cm dipole, PVC structure. ~30 minutes to build.

Dave Headlock, YouTube video  KE0OG (Kay-Ee-Zero-Oh-Ge)

  • 2m SWR 1.02~1.04
  • 70cm: 440MHz SWR 1.0~1.5; 470MHz: 2.06

Motion to adjourn at 2008 by Bill, 2nd by Roger Parsons, pass by acclimation

WRARC Minutes June 25th, 2019

20190625 June WRARC Monthly Meeting

(Instead of the typical pre-meeting dinner at a restaurant, dinner was at the Post: pulled smoked-pork sandwiches by Russell)

Called to order by Mike May @ 1945 at the American Legion Post

Attendees 10: Doug Collins (KA$SWT), Kenneth Whitehouse (N4JLT), Ken Douglass (KY4KD), Russell Chaney (KN4OHD), John Wulf(K4FT), Ron Gaddis (AC4NE), John Lewis (WD4LEW), David Sexton (AE4YM), Mike May (KF4FMQ), Andy Rose (KI6SEP)

Minutes of May, 2019 Meeting: motion to accept, seconded, passed by acclimation.

Treasure’s Report. (Ken Douglass)

  • Ordered Ameritron RCS4 antenna switch $169.95 (from HRO)
  • Kentucky Secretary of State for annual incorporation report $15
  • Check to Doug $38.71 for Field Day materials from Lowes (wall through-feed to outside)
  • Field Day food: $112.76 including miscellaneous food items from Walmart. Covered 3 meals including tonight’s meeting!
  • Deposit $46 sale of club hat + $23 hat sale on Field Day

Activities (Ken Douglass for George Coomer)

  • June TALARC D-Star: 24 check-ins, including us, from 8 States & 1 Canadian Province. Gene, Post 46 Service Office, was on hand and answered questions regarding VA.
    • Ken had been in to Post the day before to have everything ready to run the net!
    • Ken arrived for the early check-ins and found a band just starting practice!  Impossible to run the Net given their volume.  He quickly called the others, grabbed the folders with the papers he’d prepared, and they all convened at Ken’s home (much to the delight of Ken’s dog), running the Net from there.
    • The conflict that resulted in the band being OKed at the same time as the Net was the Post maintains a paper schedule at the Social Club for the Hall and does not look at the online schedule.  Ken believes this issue has been resolved.
    • (Side reminder: both these events are American Legion events as the Net is the American Legion national net!)
  • Next TALARC is this coming Monday, July 1.  Please come to the Post if you can or at least check-in on reflector 56C if you have D-Star.
  • Article not yet written for American Legion – they hope to have it in September CQ
  • Next coffee at Rooster’s/AJ’s: July 5th.  (On Main Street in Danville between Constitution Square and the Post Office.)
  • June 29th, this Saturday, is the next VE session. Last with existing General Question Pool.
  • July 27th at 3rd Street Methodist Church.  New Pool in effect.

Old Business:

  • We participated in May’s “Shake N Fury” National Earthquake Drill.
    • Poor participation: not many Counties checked in.
    • We did D-Star morning and afternoon; HF in afternoon. (We did monitor HF in the morning)
    • Chris was in New Jersey coincidentally and provided off-site backup for D-Star NCO.
    • “Learned a lot”. Will allow us to do that much better during the next Drill or real Event. Example:
      • Backup power provisions would be good to have in place just in case AC power fails whether related to disaster or an unrelated event. An example here is the recent car accident on Maple Avenue where a utility pole was sheared off.
  • Field Day a success
    • 684 contacts, roughly 150 more than last year!
    • Details posted to WRARC-general-messages at “groups.io”
    • Doug implemented a wall feed-through for all the cables: antennas, generator power, solar power.  3” pipe that can easily be capped on both sides when not in use.  Located in corner near permanent antenna feed box.  Worked quite well, eliminating potential tripping hazard and allowed us to keep door to building closed.
    • Peter set up mast behind the Post with off-center fed dipole for GOTA station, ladder-line to feed into the building (through Doug’s through-feed)
    • Doug brought tilt-up mast with two beams and pulley for long wire, which was also set up.  This was set up near south-west corner of building.
    • George brought 8kW generator and parked it on East side of building.  Minimal acoustic noise from this location.
    • Bonus points:
      • Public official: Yes: Judge Executor Howard Hunt, and Sherriff’s Deputy Taylor Bottoms attended.
      • Newspaper: Yes: Danville Advocate Messenger (Robin Hunt) Article published in Wednesday, June 26 edition.
      • Social Media: Yes: Janie set up Facebook page and posted daily.
      • Solar, with battery charged by solar: Yes: battery & pre-event solar charge by Mike; event-site solar from Janie & Andy (100W) which was connected to Mike’s battery.
    • Russel brought smoker & a couple of pork shoulders which he cooked, pulled, and served. Hot dinner Saturday, cold lunch on Sunday, and cold sandwiches before meeting.

New Business

  • Dues Due
    • $20 for Sons
    • $30 for Associates
    • Make checks to American Legion
  • American Legion Anniversary in October Special Event Station
    • Tony would like it on 10/22, the day of our October meeting.
    • No longer on the Bourbon Chase weekend removing that conflict.
  • Need to get planning underway for Anniversary – proposal of a small group.
  • Need to get started on planning support of Bourbon Chase.

Close business at 2012 (motion by John, 2nd by ??)

Program: Field Day!

  • Pictures taken by John, George, and Andy projected.  Discussion ensued.
  • John asked for suggestions on how to make next year’s better.

WRARC Minutes May 28th, 2019

20190528 May WRARC Monthly Meeting

Called to order by Mike May @ 19:30 at the American Legion Post

Attendees: Doug Collins (KA4SWT), Jerry Wilson, Kenneth Whitehouse (N4JLT), Bill Waldschmidt (W9WA), Ken Douglass (KY4KD), Russell Chaney (KN4OHD), John Wulf (K4FT), Peter Rock (KJ4ND), Zenah Teater (KK4IYY), Daniel Lubinski (KD0HYA), George Coomer (KM4QOY), Mike May (KF4FMQ), Andy Rose (KI6SEP)

Minutes of April, 2019 Meeting: motion to accept by Bill W., seconded, passed by acclimation.

Treasure’s Report. (Ken Douglas)

  • $289.70 check to Commander Tony for 12 hats.  Hope to recoup all. 6 have been sold, 6 available.  George challenge: will buy 1 hat if Club buys the other for Laura and Josh, who wrote the article. Ken Whitehouse accepted challenge and is buying the other.
  • 4 hats still available!!
  • $151 deposited for sales of the above mentioned 6 hats.
  • $40 from Mike May purchasing frequency analyzer from Club

Activities (George Coomer)

  • May TALARC D-Star: 37 check-ins from 9 states.
  • June 1 (this Saturday) Kentucky QSO Party.  (see new business)
  • June 3: next TALARC
  • Article not yet written for American Legion – they’ve had a busy time but expect to get it done soon; they hope to have it in September CQ
  • Next coffee at AJ’s: June 7th.  (On Main Street in Danville between Constitution Square and the Post Office.)
  • June 29th next VE session.
  • Field Day coming up! (Fourth weekend in June as always, June 22/23.)  John is coordinating efforts

Old Business:

  • Doug: Need new rotor
    • Not buying a new one.  Donation coming from estate.
  • Mike has made arrangement for bucket truck
  • Thursday’s Shake N Fury drill on Thursday will be using our station.
  • List of Elizabeth Parton’s grandfather’s ham gear for sale distributed by email and now up on Club’s web site.

New Business

  • Ken.  Thursday’s Nation-wide drill
    • We will be the State’s communication center
    • Our call sign: KY4EOC
    • Focusing on 24 counties in western Kentucky
    • Will be using HF, PSK32, 2m, and D-Star
    • Starting at 0900, we are primary center for D-Star.  Nobody knows how many counties have D-Star; we should expect multiple check-ins from some counties.  Chris is in New Jersey & will serve as back-up for us. 
    • Will go on air ~815-830
    • Tim from Harrodsburg will be primary for PSK31 & and we are back-up (80m)
    • HF on 80m.  We are secondary all morning with Frankfurt primary.  In afternoon, the operator from Frankfurt will come here to set up primary.
    • 2 hour lunch from ~11-1300
    • Concludes at 1600
    • We may NOT publicize that we were EOC/alternate.  OK to say we participated.
    • Doug may be able to provide a 2nd 80m antenna.  Hope to know by end of day tomorrow.
  • Motion for 4 way switch by George, 2nd by Bill.
  • QSO Party this weekend.  We are not a bonus station – we missed the signup deadline.
  • Field Day: same as last year (Saturday, June 22)
    • Doug working on better process than keeping door open for our cabling.
    • Peter is bring off-center fed dipole for GOTA station
    • Bonus points?
      • Public official
      • Newspaper
      • Russel will bring smoker & a couple of pork shoulders
      • John will get full list to Andy for distribution.

Close business at 2017 (motion by Doug, 2nd by ??)

Program: All About Dayton

  • John Wulf. Went to American Legion booth right off and met Bill Sloan (NZ9S). He couldn’t stop saying good things about the Ham activities at our Post.
  • Bill went and met same hams from his old haunts.  Went to buy a particular item but GigaParts was out of stock so he’s ordered on line later. 
  • Ken: 35,000 people attending.  Ken was watching live feed and in less than 5 minutes Bill W walked by!

American Legion 80m net changed from 2000 to 1930 to remove conflict with our 2m net! We should participate if we can as a thank you.

Adjourn, 2028