20181127 WRARC Monthly Meeting
Called to order at 7:35pm
Attendees (signed in):
Ken Whitehouse (N4JLT), Jerry Wilson (GearJammer433@yahoo.com), Doug Collins (KA4SWT), John Wulf (K4FT), Russel Chaney (KN4OHD), Mike May (KF4FMQ), Bill Waldschmitt (W9WA), Alex Matan (KN4QAH, Alex@Matan.ca), Ken Douglas (KY4KD), Zenah Teater (KK4IYY), Andy Rose (KI6SEP), George Coomer (KM4QOY), & Ray Whitehouse (KY4RW)
• John motion to accept minutes. 2nd and passed
• Treasurer’s report by Ken D
o Paid $25 to American Legion D-Star Fund Raiser
• Activities Report: George (written report, attached)
o D-Star Net started at 2000. 12 states, 2 Canadian provinces
o 44 total check-ins
o $225 raised: Paul (K9PTF), Jack (KD4IZ), Tony (KB4TC), Club, Ken (KY4KD), George (KM4QOY), Dennis (K3KZU), Peter (KJ4ND), Bernie (KM4TPW)
• Legion Dinner
o 6~9 participants from Club
• New Attendees
o Alex Matan, attained General at our club’s VE session 10/27, KN4QAH. He then passed his Extra.
o Jerry Wilson, father was American Legion Post Commander in Florida, working on becoming a ham!
• VE Session (John):
o 3 new technicians,
o 2 new extras.
o Jan 26, 2019 is next VE session
• Final payment to Juerg’s widow will be in the next week or so. She will be moving to Switzerland sometime in December or later.
• Icom 706, 718 and/or Yaesu 747: should we look into selling to buy another Icom 7300?
o Motion by John, 2nd by Ken D. Passed
• Discussion of membership fees for people hams under 18 years old.
o Bylaws used to have a student & family fee but that went away with incorporation into Post.
o Consensus: Club or individuals will cover (no motion)
• President: Mike May, by acclimation
• Vice President: Ken Whitehouse (John, 2nd Ken), by acclimation
• Secretary: Andy Rose(nominated by Ken D), by acclimation
• Treasurer: Ken Douglass, by acclimation
• Two Board members:
o Ray Whitehouse & John Wulf have one more year to serve in their two year terms.
o Bill Waldschmidt & Doug : motion by Ken W to re-instate for 2 years, 2nd John, by acclimation
• Activities Directory: George Coomer, motion by Andy, by acclimation
Ken: recent email from Berea Club. What happened to John Lewis, W4LEW? Will respond that he was here last month but not this. Ken will get in touch with John Lewis.
2002: business portion of meeting closed.
• Was listening to a maritime net. During net, emergency interruption. Difficult to hear but appeared to be a ship with a sick person on board. NC did not know what to do! “I’ve got a book on that somewhere.” Lesson for all of us: keep in mind timely action you can take if you are ever NC or in the situation of needing to respond. Discussion re: what should we do if running one of our typical nets here => 911 is the best starting point and they can forwarded/pass on the information as appropriate.
• Working on a 20 M Yagi beam.
o Showed bracket, ham sticks, and some parts from MFJ that served as model for home brew, low cost version.
o Researched on google
o With tuner, SWR 1.7
Ken: Next coffee/breakfast: Dec 7 & is posted on our website
Motion to Adjourn 2030
= = = =
Minutes by Andy Rose KI6SEP