WRARC Minutes Jan 22, 2019

20190122 WRARC Monthly Meeting

Called to order by Mike at 1933.

15 attendees: Ken Douglas KY4KD, Russel Chaney KN4OHD, Dennis Weiskicher K3KZU, John Lewis WD4LEW, John Wulf KYFT, Peter Rock KJ4ND, Ken Whitehouse N4JLT, Roger Parsons KG4VCR, Doug Collins KA4SWT, Chris Galbreath KG4UQL, Mike May KF4FMO, Andy Rose KI6SEP, George Coomer KM4QOY, John Modlin KT3K, Bill Waldschmidt W9WA

Minutes from November approved (there was no formal December meeting)

Treasurer’s Report (Ken Douglas)

$1,129.95 price for 2nd Icom 7300 + 30A power supply.  Cash from treasury will be only $59.  Breakdown:

$450 from sale of Icom 706 MKII to Janie & Andy

$400 from sale of Icom 718 to Ken Douglas

$100 donation from Bill Waldschmidt for 7300

$100 rebate due. 

  $20 Ken Whitehouse donation for 7300

Activities Report (George Coomer)

Recent DStar. Down from previous but conflict with NFL playoff.

Next DStar at 2/4/19 at 2000

Requested ideas or special interests for upcoming activities.

Old Business:

In our last regular meeting, November, Ken D mentioned an email from the Berea check-in group expressing concern they had not heard from John Lewis for some time & wanted to know if he was OK.  John is hale, hearty and in attendance tonight!

New Business

                Guest of George Coomer: KT3K, John Modlin. 15 year Danville resident.

Kentucky QSO Party. Club has opportunity to sponsor a plaque for $50 for all expenses including shipping.  10 categories for placks. Dennis forward, 2nd, passed by voice

Need another micro SD card for 2nd 7300.  Ken Whitehouse has one to donate.

Comment:

Ken D: Post 42 in Bards County has a group of hams would like to do something similar to what we do here.  Some of them visited here recently and were very impressed with our shack and its equipment.  First issue is that Post 42 does not have a facility.  (They meet in the library)

Christmas Party

·         Good turn out from Club

·         Hand hold in circle by all attendees – so many people they half filled room!

·         Except for ham club, all others went to bar to watch game!  Hams stayed and ate 😉

Discussion on how individual members can get Legion hats – all the one obtained by Tony have been given out.

·         Agreed it would be nice for all to have a hat when we attend events as well as when we support public events (such as the Bourbon Chase Relay Race)

·         Send email to all members to determine interest for Legion/Club hats => if a larger quantity of hats is ordered it helps with discount.  If >=12 around $20 each.

·         Probably want all in same color.

·         Hats will be embroidered with the WRARC-W4CDA above the American Legion logo and POST 46 DANVILLE, KY beneath (see attached)

2008 Business Meeting Adjorn @ 2008

Presentation:

Power Point presentation explaining the Club starting a Group on “groups.io” for emails as well as potentially for file posting.  Presentation will be posted to the Group’s file section

Suggestion made by several that the Invite to join should be sent out again with an explanation that the Invite is for our Club and is replacing the hand maintained email list.

WRARC Minutes Nov 27, 2018

20181127 WRARC Monthly Meeting
Called to order at 7:35pm
Attendees (signed in):
Ken Whitehouse (N4JLT), Jerry Wilson (GearJammer433@yahoo.com), Doug Collins (KA4SWT), John Wulf (K4FT), Russel Chaney (KN4OHD), Mike May (KF4FMQ), Bill Waldschmitt (W9WA), Alex Matan (KN4QAH, Alex@Matan.ca), Ken Douglas (KY4KD), Zenah Teater (KK4IYY), Andy Rose (KI6SEP), George Coomer (KM4QOY), & Ray Whitehouse (KY4RW)
Old Business
• John motion to accept minutes. 2nd and passed
• Treasurer’s report by Ken D
o Paid $25 to American Legion D-Star Fund Raiser
• Activities Report: George (written report, attached)
o D-Star Net started at 2000. 12 states, 2 Canadian provinces
o 44 total check-ins
o $225 raised: Paul (K9PTF), Jack (KD4IZ), Tony (KB4TC), Club, Ken (KY4KD), George (KM4QOY), Dennis (K3KZU), Peter (KJ4ND), Bernie (KM4TPW)
• Legion Dinner
o 6~9 participants from Club
• New Attendees
o Alex Matan, attained General at our club’s VE session 10/27, KN4QAH. He then passed his Extra.
o Jerry Wilson, father was American Legion Post Commander in Florida, working on becoming a ham!
• VE Session (John):
o 3 new technicians,
o 2 new extras.
o Jan 26, 2019 is next VE session
• Final payment to Juerg’s widow will be in the next week or so. She will be moving to Switzerland sometime in December or later.
New Business
• Icom 706, 718 and/or Yaesu 747: should we look into selling to buy another Icom 7300?
o Motion by John, 2nd by Ken D. Passed
• Discussion of membership fees for people hams under 18 years old.
o Bylaws used to have a student & family fee but that went away with incorporation into Post.
o Consensus: Club or individuals will cover (no motion)
New Officers:
• President: Mike May, by acclimation
• Vice President: Ken Whitehouse (John, 2nd Ken), by acclimation
• Secretary: Andy Rose(nominated by Ken D), by acclimation
• Treasurer: Ken Douglass, by acclimation
• Two Board members:
o Ray Whitehouse & John Wulf have one more year to serve in their two year terms.
o Bill Waldschmidt & Doug : motion by Ken W to re-instate for 2 years, 2nd John, by acclimation
• Activities Directory: George Coomer, motion by Andy, by acclimation
Ken: recent email from Berea Club. What happened to John Lewis, W4LEW? Will respond that he was here last month but not this. Ken will get in touch with John Lewis.

2002: business portion of meeting closed.

Project Presentations
Mike May:
• Was listening to a maritime net. During net, emergency interruption. Difficult to hear but appeared to be a ship with a sick person on board. NC did not know what to do! “I’ve got a book on that somewhere.” Lesson for all of us: keep in mind timely action you can take if you are ever NC or in the situation of needing to respond. Discussion re: what should we do if running one of our typical nets here => 911 is the best starting point and they can forwarded/pass on the information as appropriate.
• Working on a 20 M Yagi beam.
o Showed bracket, ham sticks, and some parts from MFJ that served as model for home brew, low cost version.
o Researched on google
o With tuner, SWR 1.7

Ken: Next coffee/breakfast: Dec 7 & is posted on our website
Motion to Adjourn 2030

= = = =
Minutes by Andy Rose KI6SEP

WRARC Minutes Oct 23 2018

WRARC
Club Minutes
23 Oct 2018
The WRARC held its regular monthly meeting at the American Legion Building on Spears Ln in Danville.
Those attending were: KG4UQL, WD4LEW, KB4UPW, KF4FMQ, KA4SWT, KI6SER, KI6SEP, KG4VCR, K4FT, KJ4ND, KN4OHD, KY4RW, KY4KD, AC4NE, KM4TPW, W9WA, AND KM4QOY.
The meeting was called to order by President Mike May at 7:32pm.
Mike asked if there was a motion to dispense with the reading of the minutes since all received them by email. Bernie made the motion with John W 2nd the motion and all members approving.
Mike then asked for a treasury report from Ken.
He wrote a check to Chris for a banner that he had made for events for $50.00. Donation was made by Russell for $30.00. John W made the motion to accept the report. Bill 2nd the motion and all members approved.
Mike asked George for activity report. George said that some club members participated in the Bourbon Chase. Janie and Andy will give a report on this a little later. Nothing is on for Oct since it’s about gone.
John W said that we have a VE test session on Sat the 27th at 10am here at the Legion Building. George said the D Star net was Oct 1st with 9 states 28 check ins with one of those a nautical station in British Columbia. The next D Star net will be Nov 5th and Ken can give more on this. Ken said that this all started by a guy in Alabama. The gentleman wanted our Legion net to grow so he came up with drain Paul’s mad money. He said that he would give $1.00 per check in up to 25. Then Jack in Maryland said he wanted in on this so it has grown with the Post Commander, our club, Ken D, George C, Dennis and Peter sponsoring this event. The money will go to the Post for the Boys and Girls state program. It takes $200.00 for this and with the people that are donating we will get the full $200.00 toward this program. The boy which is a jr in High school along with his parents will be here to participate.
George asked John W if he knew of any events in Nov. John said Nov 17th was a phone contest what should be fun so George said he will get it on calendar. Ken said he will not be able to attend so he would leave a key to get in.
— Old Business —
Bourbon Chase: All said had a good time doing this.
— New Business —
John W said already mentioned but don’t forget the VE Test session Saturday the 27th if you want to upgrade.
Mike asked about the Legion Thanksgiving Dinner. Ken said the Legion web site calendar should have it since it is up to date as is the club web site. Mike said we brought a dish last time a wondered if that was how it is this year.
Ken mentioned that most all the items have been sold from Juerg’s estate and he plans on taking the final payment to her in a few weeks. The donations we received from members has allowed us to purchase the 7300 out right and not coming out of the club’s treasury. This was great that members stepped up and we got this done.
Mike asked if there was a motion to close the business portion. John W made the motion and Peter 2nd all approved and the business closed at 7:50pm.
Mike asked Andy and Janie to give a report on the Chase event. Janie gave a power point presentation on many aspects of the event. We had 406 runners that we got bib numbers from to relay to net control and this was in 6 hours. This was a lot of runners and we had some dupes of numbers and missed but we had a 97% good. Not too bad for an event thrown together in about 5 weeks. More people to help would have
been a big help as we were stretched thin. But all in all a fun event and we got the mission done. There were many other things brought up but not included in the minutes.
Mike said elections are in November so start thinking.
With nothing else motion was made to close all members in favor so the meeting closed at 8:23pm.
Submitted to the members of WRARC
by Secretary Chris/ KG4UQL