Minutes, 24 MAY, 2022 Wilderness Road Amateur Radio Club Monthly Meeting
Meeting via Dennis’ Zoom account. (Thanks Dennis!)
Meeting called to order by President Mike May (KF4FMQ) at 1930 hours EDT.
Attendees: 16 members:
Bill Waldschmidt (W9WA), Chris Galbreath (KG4UQL), Chris McCollough (KI4WKM), David Jewett (KN4ZOA), David Sexton (AE4YM), Dennis Weiskircher (K3KZU), Doug Collins (KA4SWT), Harold Miller (AF6MB), John Lewis (WD4LEW), Ken Douglas (KY4KD), Larry Roberts (WE4LR), Mike May (KF4FMQ), Peter Rock (KJ4ND), Ray Whitehouse (KY4RW), Rick Flynn (KO4UHE), Tony Cromwell (KB4TC).
Previous meeting was 26 Apr 2022. Motion to accept Minutes of that meeting as published (via email) by Dennis (K3KZU), 2nd by David (AE4YM). Passed by acclimation.
$ Starting balance.
$ Ending balance.
Past Activities Report:
- Previous VEC Testing was conducted Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at the American Legion Post 46.
- Previous TALARC D-STAR Net: Monday, 2 May 2022. See Ken’s attached report.
- Previous monthly coffee was via Zoom at 0900 hours EDT, Friday, 6 May 2022.
- Previous Club Activity was Saturday, 7 May 2022, 1300 to 1700 EDT via ZOOM: 7th CALL AREA QSO PARTY.
- Previous WRARC monthly club meeting was on Tuesday, 24 May 2022 (4th Tuesday of month) at 1930 hours EDT via ZOOM.
- Previous weekly WRARC Club OTA Nets were conducted each Wednesday evening at 2000 hours EDT on 27 April, 4 May, 11 May, and 18 May 2022.
- The next TALARC D-STAR NET is Scheduled for Monday, 6 Jun 2022 at 2000 hours EDT. Check-ins over the air on D-Star reflector 56C or via Echo Link. Early check-ins start 45 minutes before the Net, i.e. from 1915 EDT on. Remember you can check in via EchoLink from your computer or smartphone to either node KY4RW-L or use EchoLink’s search mode on “Danville”. Club members only: Ken will check you in if you send a text to his cell phone during the net.
- Kentucky QSO Party discussion. The consensus opinion was that the club “was in it to win it” and would participate as a club (W4CDA) in an in person gathering at the American Legion Post 46. Previously, the club has won this event five years in a row. Peter will coordinate the activity and email the details to everyone. Ken has already reserved the building for this event. (FYI: KY QSO Party is 1200Z, 4 Jun to 0100Z, 5 Jun 2022.)
- Field Day discussion. Again, the consensus opinion was that the club would participate just to have fun as a group event at the American Legion Post 46. Again, Peter will coordinate the activity and email the details to everyone. Ken has already reserved the building for this event and will also reserve the pavilion. (FYI: ARRL Field Day is 1800Z, 25 Jun to 2059Z, 26 Jun 2022 (4th weekend in June)).
- New Computer discussion. One of the club station computers is still running Windows XP, which can’t be upgraded, and needs to be replaced. The other is running Windows 10. Current computer prices are reasonable enough to make this replacement as well as perhaps procuring four 27″ monitors. Equipment needs will be evaluated, possibly this coming Saturday, and a list developed for decision / procurement authorization at the next club meeting.
- Hybrid Club Meeting for May. A proposal was made to make every effort to conduct a hybrid club meeting for May that would include in person club members in the American Legion 46 hall and those club members who choose to participate on Zoom. Campbellsville American Legion post has provided information on how they are conducting their hybrid meetings and our club has already made arrangements for the use of some equipment to conduct our own hybrid meeting. An effort will be made this Saturday to get to the hall and conduct a test run of a hybrid meeting using currently available equipment.
- Use of WRARC website discussion. The group consensus of whether to still post club minutes to club website found that there may still be value added when posting club minutes to website for possible review by prospective club members. Therefore, no change was made to current club policy.
- Discussion on replacing 2 computers & 4 computer monitors in club radio shack. Harold (AF6MB) is the designated lead for determining needed equipment upgrades. One old XP computer will be rebuilt and the cost can come from the $250 standing club policy for one-time purchases. 27″ monitor procurement was tabled until next meeting.
- Update discussion on KY QSO Party, 4 June. Zoom will be available for QSP party participation from home.
- Update discussion on ARRL Field Day, 25 June. A wedding party is still scheduled for the American Legion hall but the pavilion has been reserved for our exclusive use. Janie Taylor (KI6SER) did research the use of Constitution Square and the old jail house provided we could prove non-profit status. But the use of this public facility was tabled for possible future use. Also noted was that American Legion policy for ‘on-duty’ post operations (such as official club radio activities) allows for the procurement of lunch by the legion during such activities.
- Procurement of ICOM ID-5100 for club radio shack. A motion was made to offer $250 to $300 to procure a used ID-5100 for club use by David (AE4YM), 2nd by Harold (AF6MB). Passed by acclimation.
- Generators for club use. Ray (KY4RW) may have one or two 4500 generators available for club use.
- Future Activities:
- Next WRARC club Coffee Social is on Friday, 3 Jun 2022 (1st Friday of month) at 0900 hours EDT via ZOOM.
- KY QSO Party is 0900 EDT, 4 Jun to 2100 EDT, 4 Jun 2022 at American Legion Post 46.
- Next TALARC D-STAR NET is on Monday, 6 Jun 2022 (1st Monday of month) at 2000 hours EDT on Reflector 056C.
- ARRL Field Day is 1400 EDT, 25 Jun to 1659 EDT, 26 Jun 2022 (4th weekend in June) at American Legion Post 46.
- Next WRARC monthly club meeting is on Tuesday, 28 Jun 2022 (4th Tuesday of month) at 1930 hours EDT via ZOOM.
- Next VEC Testing: On Saturday, 23 July 2022 starting at 1000 hours EDT at the American Legion building, 45 Spears Lane, Danville, KY. See http://www.wrarc.com/ve-testing/ for details. Pre-registration is required.
- Next weekly WRARC OTA club net is each Wednesday evening at 2000 hours EDT.
Adjournment Motion to Adjourn by David (AE4YM), 2nd by Peter (KJ4ND); Passed by acclimation. Adjourned at 2050 hours EDT.
Minutes respectfully submitted,
Mike May (KF4FMQ)