Minutes, 28 JUN, 2022 Wilderness Road Amateur Radio Club Monthly Meeting – FINAL RECORD COPY
Hybrid meeting via Dennis’ Zoom account. (Thanks Dennis!)
Meeting called to order by President Mike May (KF4FMQ) at 1933 hours EDT.
Attendees: 11 members:
Chris Galbreath (KG4UQL), David Sexton (AE4YM), Dennis Weiskircher (K3KZU), Doug Collins (KA4SWT), Harold Miller (AF6MB), Ken Douglas (KY4KD), Mike May (KF4FMQ), Ray Whitehouse (KY4RW), Rick Flynn (KO4UHE), Tony Cromwell (KB4TC), Zenah Teater (KK4IYY).
Previous meeting was 24 May 2022. Motion to accept Minutes of that meeting as published (via email) by David (AE4YM), 2nd by Harold (AR6MB). Passed by acclimation.
Past Activities Report:
- Previous VEC Testing was conducted Saturday, 23 Apr 2022 at the American Legion Post 46.
- Previous WRARC monthly club meeting was on Tuesday, 24 May 2022 (4th Tuesday of month) at 1930 hours EDT via ZOOM.
- Previous monthly coffee social was at AJ’s Country Café and via Zoom at 0900 hours EDT, Friday, 3 Jun 2022.
- Previous TALARC D-STAR Net: Monday, 6 Jun 2022. See Ken’s attached report.
- Previous Club Activity was Saturday, 4 Jun 2022, 0900 to 2100 EDT at American Legion Post 46 and via ZOOM: KENTUCKY QSO PARTY.
- Previous Club Activity had been scheduled for Saturday, 25 Jun 2022 thru Sunday, 26 Jun 2022 EDT at American Legion Post 46 and via ZOOM: ARRL SUMMER FIELD DAY; however, this had to be canceled due to Covid.
- Previous weekly WRARC Club OTA Nets were conducted each Wednesday evening at 2000 hours EDT on 25 May, 1 Jun, 8 Jun, 15 Jun, and 22 Jun 2022.
Old Business from 24 May 2022 meeting
- Use of WRARC website discussion. The group consensus of whether to still post club minutes to club website found that there may still be value added when posting club minutes to website for possible review by prospective club members. Therefore, no change was made to current club policy.
- Discussion on replacing 2 computers & 4 computer monitors in club radio shack. Harold (AF6MB) is the designated lead for determining needed equipment upgrades. One old XP computer will be rebuilt and the cost can come from the $250 standing club policy for one-time purchases. 27″ monitor procurement was tabled until next meeting.
- Update discussion on KY QSO Party, 4 June. Zoom will be available for QSP party participation from home.
- Update discussion on ARRL Field Day, 25 June. A wedding party is still scheduled for the American Legion hall but the pavilion has been reserved for our exclusive use. Janie Taylor (KI6SER) did research the use of Constitution Square and the old jail house provided we could prove non-profit status. But the use of this public facility was tabled for possible future use. Also noted was that American Legion policy for ‘on-duty’ post operations (such as official club radio activities) allows for the procurement of lunch by the legion during such activities.
- Procurement of ICOM ID-5100 for club radio shack. A motion was made to offer $250 to $300 to procure a used ID-5100 for club use by David (AE4YM), 2nd by Harold (AF6MB). Passed by acclimation.
- Generators for club use. Ray (KY4RW) may have one or two 4500 watt generators available for club use.
AMAZON SMILE donation program discussion. Amazon has a donation program called “AMAZON SMILE” for approved 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations in which they donate 0.5% of your purchase price to your designated non-profit organization at NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. Many other Amateur Radio Clubs are already using this program as an additional revenue stream for their clubs and our WRARC is already registered to receive donations from this AMAZON SMILE program if our club members and family use the new Amazon Smile URL to do their shopping and purchasing. The new Amazon Smile website is easy to set up and simple to use. When you shop at Amazon, or if you already have an account with Amazon (https://www.AMAZON.COM) you just use a slightly different URL (https://SMILE.AMAZON.COM) to access the SMILE.AMAZON.COM site and your original Amazon user ID and Password will be exactly the same on the new site. (Thereafter, you must always use the new Amazon Smile URL for the donation program to work. If you go back to using the old Amazon.com URL, then no donation will be made.) When you first access the new Amazon Smile URL you will need to designate the non-profit organization to receive the donation. The WRARC Secretary will send out a groups.io email showing how to use the Amazon Smile donation program.
“KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS” donation program discussion. Kroger has a similar donation program for approved 501(c)(3) organizations. Currently we are working to get WRARC listed in their approved non-profit organizations. Updated info will be forthcoming at a later date. Program info at https://www.kroger.com/i/community/community-rewards.
WRARC facebook page discussion. There are currently two WRARC facebook pages on facebook when only one official club page is needed. A motion was made to consolidate or close the two existing pages and to establish one official WRARC facebook page to be maintained by the club secretary for the purpose of interfacing with the public. The motion was made by David (AE4YM), 2nd by Dennis (K3KZU). Passed by acclimation.
The next TALARC D-STAR NET, which had been scheduled for Monday, 4 Jul 2022 (1st Monday of month) at 2000 hours EDT on Reflector 056C, has been canceled due to Covid.
ICOM 7300 class / briefing. Since so many club members now own an ICOM 7300, there was general interest shown in developing a club briefing or presentation on the functions and capabilities of the radio.
- Future Activities:
- Next WRARC club Coffee Social is on Friday, 1 Jul 2022 (1st Friday of month) at 0900 hours EDT at AJ’s Country Café and via ZOOM.
- Next VEC Testing: On Saturday, 23 July 2022 starting at 1000 hours EDT at the American Legion building, 45 Spears Lane, Danville, KY. See http://www.wrarc.com/ve-testing/ for details. Pre-registration is required.
- Next Club Activity is a Fox Hunt at 1100 EDT, 23 Jul 2022 at the American Legion hall after the VEC testing has been completed.
- Next WRARC monthly club meeting is on Tuesday, 26 Jul 2022 (4th Tuesday of month) at 1930 hours EDT at the American Legion Post 46 and via ZOOM.
- Next weekly WRARC OTA club net is each Wednesday evening at 2000 hours EDT.
- Next TALARC D-STAR NET is on Monday, 1 Aug 2022 (1st Monday of month) at 2000 hours EDT on Reflector 056C.
Adjournment Motion to Adjourn by Chris (KG4UQL), 2nd by Harold (AF6MB); Passed by acclimation. Adjourned at 1935 hours EDT.
Minutes respectfully submitted,
Mike May (KF4FMQ)